Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Gift Of Teaching

By Maureen White

Hearing of the opportunity to presumably "pioneer" in a Haitian elementary school to assist teachers with their curriculum, I agreed to travel this year with WAYS (Workday for Adults and Youth in a Service) on their annual mission trip to Port au Prince, Haiti, where they serve the Baptist Convention Community in various capacities. Aware of the country's unemployment rate and devastating conditions since their 2010 earthquake, I enthusiastically filled a suitcase with paper, notebooks, pencils, crayons, scissors, children books, teacher manuals, and other assorted teaching aides which were hoarded in my home from my teaching years of all grades, K through graduate levels. I had been told materials in English would be helpful so it was a bit of a shock when I learned one week before our departure that I would be assigned a translator for her to communicate in French for me. This young woman, age 22, and nearly completing her high school degree, turned out to be the greatest gift I could have been given.

The first day in a new school of 2 years, I spent observing the 5 teachers' in their classrooms and quickly realized all my imagined plans --- and many of the materials I brought --- were totally inappropriate. The teachers are mandated to teach everything in the national language French, and once I saw the children copying and parroting back their lessons with little or no understanding, it dawned on me that this was clearly a bi-lingual school, yet not implemented as such. I became discouraged and disillusioned at the outset, watching these beautiful, neatly coifed kids struggle. On day two I discussed this problem with my translator, nick-named, JJ, and was stunned with how she grasped the whole difficult situation I was in --- to model lessons which didn't make sense.

I had observed the wonderful rapport the teachers had with JJ and how she translated --- in their native language, Creole --- my plans for each of their classes. Of course, many rolled their eyes. When I realized how bright and perceptive she is, I decided on a role reversal; I would teach her how to teach the lessons I had planned.

It thrilled me beyond words to then observe this young woman take over a class, engage all the kids, and even get most of the teachers to participate with her.
When I first saw her read one of the French stories we were practicing, at the finish of a school day, I was struck by what a magnet she is with kids. A few circled around her as she read, and then others watching, just gravitated to her.
In praising her afterwards, she admitted she read the story in Creole. She intuitively knew if she wanted to engage and have them enjoy the story, they had to listen to it in Creole, then have them execute the intended lesson(s) in French.













I have taught many teachers, over my tenure of 32 years, and JJ is at the top of that list. She possess the innate qualities of: aptitude, personality, compassion, love of children, and a hungry thirst to learn. I came to Haiti, with the lofty thought of giving; I'm leaving this country, blessed with gratitude, knowing it is I who became the recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment