Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Home sweet home

So I've been home for a couple of days now and settling back into my own routine. I remember when I first got to Haiti how unreal it seemed, like I was in a movie. Then after a couple of days it seemed like the only reality. I wanted to learn everything there was to know about how it worked and why. The more I learned it seemed the more barriers there are to the Haitians being successful. I read a book a while ago by Paul Farmer, many of you might know him as the doctor from Massachusetts who has done so much for Haiti. His book is called the Pathologies of Power and it discusses the issues of how the first world contributes to keeping the third world oppressed. I want to read it again now.
Once I was settled into my routine in Haiti, it seemed my life at home was just a dream. Now it feels like Haiti was a dream. Did that really happen? Was I really a part of it? Or was it a movie I watched? I look at the pictures and I am in them so it must be real. If I close my eyes I can feel the orphans arms around me and smell charcoal burning. I miss it and my team and the therapists and Pierre, my translator. He was one of those people you meet who you instantly feel you have known him your whole life, and even if years go by before you see him again, you will pick up right where you left off. I felt like I could ask him anything about Haiti, how or why or why not or what did it feel like and he would not hesitate to share himself with me. What an amazing young man. I cherish his friendship and I hope he is reading this. He knew exactly how to convey what people were saying to me and when to leave something out, either something I said that wasn't quite sensitive enough, or something the therapists said. He helped me to joke with them and that broke the ice and created connections and respect. It's so complicated to try to talk in Haiti, many people have some English but their first language is Kreyol and then when they are old enough to go to school it is the law that school is taught in French. Maybe Maureen wrote about this. Anyway the people switch back and forth between Kreyol and French and I don't really speak any of either except 'bonjour,' 'Merci,' 'au revoir' in French and one Kreyol word, 'excusem' for excuse me. It would have been good to know 'Holy Shit!!' or 'yikes!!!' for driving in the van but not very missionary-like so just as well I didn't.

Anyway the dream that is Haiti haunts me and I find myself talking about it wherever I go. And my mind is still swirling with questions. I have to try to get Young Jonathan's email because I want to know exactly what do the orphans eat for their two meals a day? And does the rain come in those windows in the rainy season and get them wet, the bunk beds are right next to the windows? And why do they only have fitted sheets, no top sheets? I know it's hot but do they ever get cold? And can I send some light soft flannel blankets, for loveys if not for covers? Even when I am hot I can't sleep without some kind of sheet or cover on me.

I tried to google the FLAME therapy program tonight with no luck. Agnes, one of the Hungarian missionaries, emailed me some of the Book they wrote about it but it only the first 9 pages and I want to know more. I think I have found a new hobby, not that I needed one, you know me I am always up to some craft or project or cooking or other mayhem. Haiti is my new hobby, but hobby is too casual a word for it. What should I say? Obsession is too strong a word but maybe passion is close. I hope as I continue to settle into the routines of American life that I don't forget all the goals I have. 1. Learn more about pediatrics to help the therapists more. 2. Come up with some kind of webinar for them & figure out a translator, Pierre or one of the Haitian aides I work with in the nursing home. 3. Send packages and books. 4. Plan talk for church, you are all invited, April 13 at East Congregational church in Milton, 10:00 amservice, be there or be square. 5. Learn to cook rice and beans, Dave loves it and I want to make it for church. I could go on & on. But it's late & I have to work tomorrow so I better pray and go to sleep.

Dear God, thank you for opening my eyes to Haiti and all it means. Thank you for all the Haitians who opened themselves to me and to my team members who understood and felt it with me and taught me and coached and supported me, especially Shantia. Lord, thank you for my life of privilege, for books and the internet for learning. Please watch over my team in their medical mission this week. Please help me post the darn blog successfully, it is giving me some trouble and I have so much to say. Lord, continue to bless the people of Haiti with your love and their strong faith. Bless the leaders of their country and all the countries of the world, that they might see by working together we can give all your children enough to eat and a cozy place to sleep. My lord Jesus, you walked among us and you loved the poor, healed the disabled, and hugged the children. Help me do the same in your name. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment