Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Arriving in Port au Prince, January 12, 2013

Arrived in Port au Prince, Haiti on Saturday, January 12 on the third anniversary of the earthquake that opened the eyes of the world on this desolate place.

My introduction to Haiti involved a bombardment of men trying to assist with luggage not taking " no" for an answer.

The drive to the guest house was wild - an assault on the eyes, a shock to all senses, a challenge to the soul.  Sights and sounds that overwhelm.  Here to help what appears to be the impossible.  Where is the good?  Where to begin while grappling with the intrusion of fear - fear of safety, fear of potential violence, fear of disease, fear of not being able to make a difference.

Perhaps this is where God steps in to numb the senses, embrace my heart and safeguard my soul.  For here is the place in my being where room is made; to neutralize and to level the person I am; to make room for the person I am about to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment